ELECTIONS-TRUMP-PROTESTERS….THIS AIN’T NOTHING!
We were on a cruise out of the country all last week and were “Off the Grid.” We did not know who won the election until late Wednesday.
When we hit a port in the US Virgin Islands my phone was blowing up with texts and Facebook posts about the election. There were so many messages and posts prompted by emotion and disappointment. They were laced with vitriol and anger. I found it to be the most perfect and lovely time to be away from home and ‘off the grid.’
My message to those who fear that the end of civilized society is at hand, you are forgetting who WE are. WE are AMERICA. We have been through this and much worse before. When many of you were not even a sperm cell swimming upstream in search of an egg, the political shit was hitting the fan. And yet we are still here.
Just a few examples are:
• An admitted communist-Lee Harvey Oswald killed President Kennedy on 11/22/1963. (Or the CIA, La Cosa Nostra and the shadow government did it.)
• An admitted racist, James Earl Ray assassinated Martin Luther King on 4/4/68.
• A Jordanian anti-Semite, Sirhan Sirhan, assassinated Sen. Robert Kennedy on 6/5/1968.
• Thousands of violent Vietnam War protesters battled police in the streets of Chicago at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. Similar violent anti-war demonstrations including bombings and shootings continued for years.
• Ohio National Guardsman shot and killed four Kent State students during a Vietnam War protest on 5/4/1970.
Close your eyes and try to remember a time when you were 18-22 years old and you didn’t pay attention to elections and politics. While you were playing beer pong, taking college finals, playing sports, or making a few bucks at a job, contentious bipartisan politics was happening. We had Watergate and the Iranian Hostage Crisis and 911 and we got through it.
If you are still so upset that you can’t even think straight because your side lost; remember we are AMERICA. We have been through worse. This too shall pass. Hang in there.
I will give you something to worry about if that helps. The real danger involves the people behind the curtain who are really running this country, regardless of who sits in the Oval Office. You know, the military-industrial complex, the Fed, the Bilderberg group types. They pull the levers that run the show. Yes, tough times are probably on the horizon, but not because of Donald J Trump. It’s much bigger than him.